- The hot topic for this Globig podcast is ‘Hiring Foreign Employees’ and things that often trip up companies, especially US companies, when hiring international talent.
Our featured expert is Mary Lemons, the VP of Human Resources Solutions at Global Upside. Global Upside is a leader in helping companies transform their finance, accounting, and human resources functions in over 100 countries.
Mary provides helpful advice about some of the key pitfalls to be prepared for before and when hiring international employees.
The topics we cover and some of the most frequent challenges include:
1. The mindset you need to have and being prepared for successfully hiring internationally
2. The cultural needs and expectations of foreign employees are very different
3. Security and stability – risk tolerance is often lower and startups may have a harder time attracting employees
4. Benefits expectations and requirements are different by country and even region
5. Longevity varies by culture and age groups
6. People often won’t move away from their home region
7. Be prepared for collective bargaining agreements, work councils, unions and employer organizations to influence hiring, some may set salary and benefit grid
8. At will employment and international offer letters don’t exist, learn about what they use instead
9. The differences between PTO, annual leave, sick time etc
10. Understanding exempt employees for overtime and working time regulations
11. Know the requirements around employee inventions and non-competes
12. Terminations: what qualifies and the pitfalls to avoid
Listen To The Podcast: