Our podcast guest is Joe Stoddard, a Partner at Eide Bailly specializing in US Research & Development Tax Credits. Eide Bailly is one of the top accounting firms in the US.
In this podcast, Joe talks to us about some of the major changes in R & D tax incentives, what they are, their primary purpose, and how they work.
Questions we discuss include:
- What is the R & D tax incentive?
- Why does the government offer R&D tax incentives?
- Do states also offer R&D credits?
- What types of activities typically qualify for the R&D tax credit?
- Is the R&D credit limited to certain industries?
- What R&D expenses are credit eligible?
- How much credit is generated for each dollar of qualified expense?
- Is there a cap on the amount of R&D credits a company can receive?
- Explain how the R&D credit has recently been expanded to help small to medium sized businesses receive more benefit.
- What impact does tax reform have on the R&D credit and related incentives?
- What type of documentation is required to support any credits claimed?